Monday, January 18, 2010

Sad news!

All of you Clemson fans Im sure are just like Phil and I and are mourning the loss of Gaines Adams. I told Phil that he and CJ Spiller have been the best 2 players I remember watching in a Clemson uniform, and thus my fav. offensive and defensive players. Phil told me he thought I probably used my popular phrase "man-child" for the first time describing the play of Gaines. Gaines died Sunday morning of an enlarged heart. Things like this baffle me being in the medical field. I know that this is something that is often and very easily missed. I just have a hard time understanding on something like this could happen to an NFL player. I would imagine that they have the most extensive workups and physicals each year. I know that if he didn't have a murmur and wasnt having any physical symtoms than why would they order an echo? It just makes me scared to think how someone so young with so much to offer (not just on the field), could be gone so fast.
This also scares me to think that a nurse practitioner, when I finish school, I may be doing sports physicals depending on where I chose to work. One of my instructors last semester stressed the importance of doing thorough cardiac workups. She told us that was the #1 reason athletes have problems. I now see this more vividly than I ever hoped for.
This all just makes you realize that time is very valuable. Tell the ones you love that you love them everyday. Live each moment like its your last. You never know what Gods plans are.
On a lighter note.... Congrats to one of my oldest friends Mandy Sizemore on her recent engagement to Jason Korey. I am soooo excited for her!!!

No comments: