Thursday, October 28, 2010

Life with 2 boys!

It's so hard to believe that Dylan will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. I feel like it was just yesterday that I was sitting here waiting to hear we could go to the hospital. Time flies! Things have been different this time around. I'm not sure if it is that we know what we are doing more or not. Dylan has been different than Ryan so far. His past 36 hrs however he has been a bit fussier than normal. We are praying this isnt the beginning of colic. We can't remember when Ryan's first signs of colic truely surfaced. I think we did all we could to put those memories way back in our heads. Dylan is a bit fussy, but so far, we are both able to console him most of the time. Ryan was inconsolable. We often had to go for car rides to get him to sleep. Dylan is still sleeping in his rocker in our den. I am worried that if we take him up to his room that when he wakes up to eat in the middle of the night, his cries will wake up Ryan. So for now, he is still downstairs.
The other big thing is his weight. He was born at 7 lbs 14 oz, but he lost a lot of weight. I think he dropped all the way down to 7 lbs 4 oz or so. I think it is because he was a lazy eater. Whenever I tried to nurse him, he would just fall asleep. I was concerned. My pediatrician didn't seem too concerned, so I do what I always do with questions, I asked Dr. Collins (my parents neighbor). I wish he could be my pediatrician. I actually talked to Pat who advised pumping every 3 hrs so that I would know how much he was getting. Come to find out, I only get 2-3 oz when I pump. I think Dylan was starving, so we are now giving him the 2-3 oz of breast milk I get and then we supplement with formula. He seems to finally be gaining weight. Needless to say between pumping every 3 hrs, feeding 2 bottles (BM and then formula) and then washing the pump supplies, it is an all day process. It gets tiring but I sure do love my time with my boys! Ryan still LOVES being a big brother. He is always checking on him and kissing him. Let's hope he continues to love him.

No comments: