Life with two boys is fun and keeps you on your toes! Phil is staying busy with Clemson sports, and I am working on my Nurse Practitioner degree, while still working in the CVICU at GHS!
Saturday, January 8, 2011
Blindsided....
For any of you that actually read this and also FB, this is what I was talking about the other night. Ryan got a letter sent home from school with him Thursday that said he had been evaluated on his development and the evaluator wanted to set up a meeting with Phil and me. I immediately start balling. I didn't even take off my work clothes. I was just in shock. We know that Ryan has done everything developmentally slow, but he is getting better and better all the time. He was also very slow to talk. I have even had him evaluated by a speech therapist about a year ago now I'd say. We were told at that time that he knew too many words to qualify for therapy. So, needless to say hearing he needs help now, hurts. First, we had no idea that he was even being evaluated. You would think that the daycare would have asked for permission. I guess it is a blessing in disguise. If he needs help in any area, I of course want him to get it. Its just hard to hear that your kid is below normal standards. I emailed the lady, called her office and her cell phone Friday. She finally emailed me back and gave me a long description of the test that was given and his scores. None of that meant much to me. I immediately called one of my dearest friends who is a school psychologist for elementary schools and administers these types of tests all the time. I was hysterical when I was trying to tell Morgan about it, but she was wonderful listening to me the whole time and talking me through what the test is about. Long story short, Phil and I are meeting with the woman who evaluated Ryan next Tuesday to see what she feels his "needs" are and to see how we can best help him. Please everyone pray for us. I want to do all I can to help. It is just so hard to hear something is wrong. It makes you feel as if you have failed as a parent!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment