Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Waiting Game

So the holidays have come and gone, now it's time to get down to business. I did take the GRE, and I did not do as well as I would have liked. I did fine on the math portion (I figured I would though). The verbal was just as hard to me as I expected. I just have to vent that I think this test is a worthless measurement of how someone will do in graduate school. I work in one of the most challenging areas of the hospital, and my manager has enough faith in me to orient students that visit and new employees, yet according to some stupid test, I may not be "smart enough" for grad. school. When I was taking the practice tests, there were words that Phil, me, and my parents did not know. Come on now... how does that make a test a true measure of your knowledge level? I have emailed my scores to someone at the graduate section of the nursing department, and I am still waiting to hear back from her. I must say that I am very frustrated, and that the GRE test only made me feel like a moran. My overall score was plenty high due to the fact my math was 200 points higher than my verbal. I just don't think that should stop me from getting in. Also, I have seen two different sets of requirement numbers. Per one set, I am in without a question. The other set has me missing the verbal score by 10 points. That only makes me kick myself in the butt because that means if I had probably just gotten one more question right then I would have had it. Augh!!!
On a lighter note, Ryan had a great first Christmas! He got a car to be pushed around and a two-seat wagon. Cody didn't like being put in the wagon with him. He jumped out before we got to the end of the street. Ryan did go for a ride with his second cousin Luke down in Aiken when we did the Sikes/Garvin family Christmas. Maybe one day soon, Ryan's cousin Reece will be able to sit up. Then we can take the wagon over to Brian's and let the R&R boys (as my dad calls them) go for a ride!
Also positive, the Clemson Tigers are still undefeated!! 15-0! Bring on NC State this weekend!

3 comments:

Sara-Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara-Beth said...

My computer didn't like my first comment- oops!

I remember walking out of the GRE and going straight to a job interview. I cried all the way home saying "I am too dumb to teach or stay in school. Here I come fast food world!"

It is amazing how one test can supposedly measure so much. You are an amazingly bright and wonderful person- I am sure you will excel in anything you choose! My GRE score barely got me in (because of the verbal part too) but I managed to grad. with a 4.0- you will too!

Katharina said...

Those tests are all so stupid. I am a really bad teat-taker and I get a lot of anxiety right before something like that. I know that you will do fine! I have faith in you!
Send me those pics of Luke and Ryan in the wagon when you have a chance. I hardly took any pictures that day.